Technological advances in the energy sector have a huge impact on the mining sector, which is a major energy consumer. In some countries, like Peru, mining represents a significant component of GDP. Considering that the incorporation of more clean energy sources in mining processes can help to decarbonize the economy and, in turn, the use of minerals, such as copper and lithium, can boost the development of storage and electromobility technologies, how can we turn the mining sector into an ally for the energy transition?
1) Why should we see renewable energy and mining as complementary markets?
2) How has the increase in non-conventional renewable energy impacted the costs of mining processes?
3) How can electricity demand from mining be managed efficiently?
4) Is there a single energy transition model in the sector or how have countries adapted to the gradual change considering their energy matrix?
5) What other emerging technologies exist, for example, to monitor energy consumption in the sector?