The energy regulator has two fundamental missions a) to establish or propose regulations to develop the legal framework through regulatory mechanisms to achieve energy or environmental policy objectives efficiently and as cost-effectively as possible and b) to supervise the functioning of energy markets and the performance of regulated activities. But, does the energy regulator have the conditions of independence, economic autonomy, specialization, and competence to perform these functions?
1) In the ethics, social and corporate responsibility fields, how can we solve conflicts of interest, and attend to accountability to comply efficiently with the energy and environmental policy objectives?
2) What participation and transparency mechanisms are in place for the regulatory processes?
3) What are the principal tools of the regulator to monitor processes performed by the energy agents?
4) What mechanisms the regulator uses to update technical and economic information, maintaining its degree of specialization?
5) What are the tools to inform society and protect consumers?